Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Runner's World Challenge, Cold Weather Running, Investor Development

Hi everyone, and thanks for reading my blog.

A few items for today...

Runner's World Challenge - Run at least one mile every day from Thanksgiving until New Years Day.  Well - so far its going quite well, but I'm from Minnesota so I can't count on making it work every day.  I'm wondering if my insticts are going to send me to a treadmill or the track at the Y when the first snow storm hits.  Best of luck to all that are joining me in the challenge!

Cold Weather Running
I have done lots of research this month into winter running gear.  Most of it is just common sense.  Nobody, though, wants to tell  when it's just too cold to run.  The closest I found was the warnings about Athsma sufferers having trouble with cold air (I am one, and haven't noticed it yet).  I'm fully outfitted now that I bought a really light Under Armor running jacket.  I am just putting long sleave layers of poly pro on first, then the jacket, compression shorts, running pants, hat gloves, etc.   Also have taken to using a lightweight fleece vest under the jacket and over the shirts.  I have not over dressed yet since the cold weather started, but I have had to pull off the hat and gloves a few times.

Question - What are you planning to do for footwear stability on slick icy roads?  Yack Trax?  Trail Shoes?  Not run?

Investor Development
Our company, www.moxymonitor.com ,  is getting ready to launch a product.  So, now there is a need for capital.  We've gotten ourselves involved with a few outfits that are considered "Angel Networks", and things are progressing nicely.

Thanks for reading my blog!

Stu

3 comments:

  1. I've been told Yack Trax (maybe not that brand specifically) mess with the landing of the foot while running and can cause other problems. I plan on slowing down and running carefully. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year I'm going to get a pair of "traction aids" for ice from Due North. I tried a friend's last winter and like it much better than yak trax. Yak trax are great for walking the dog, but too bulky under my feet for running. As far as temp goes, I've run outside up to -20 degrees - but that is without wind. As you are learning, it's all about layers. I, too, take off my hat or gloves on runs if I am warm. A great way to regulate your body temp. Once it gets down to about 10 degrees, I add a balaclava in addition to my hat. Keeps the face, head, neck warm. It's one of my must-have's for cold runs. Awesome about your product launch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmen - Thanks for your reply. I bought something very similar yesterday after reading your post and looking at the sloppy, slippery snow coming down outside. I am about to embark on my second run with these things this morning, so I will see how it goes. As Joy commented, I don't want it to mess up my foot landing, but I also want to be safe. Thanks for the comments. And here's what I bought : MaxxDry GripOns (www.maxxdry.com) for $20 at Dunham's. I will also be looking for the ones you recommended from Due North. Always great to hear from you! Stu

      Delete