Wednesday, June 13, 2012

MOxy Explained - Dump Trucks of Oxygen?

As always, a very big thanks to all of you who are reading this Blog.  I am new to doing this, and I am still trying some things out - so thanks for your patience.  In this post, I would like to ask all those readers out there in my friends network to give me some feedback on the exerpts below - let me know if this information makes sense, or give ideas on how it can be improved or clarified.

A reminder - the purpose for my blogging is to develop a body of information about my start-up company, the device we are launching THIS YEAR, and some information about the fitness industry that is connected to the MOxy Muscle Oxygen Sensor applications and technology.

Today I thought I would reference a paper recently written ( but still in draft form) by Roger Schmitz,  the Chief Engineer at Fortiori Design (the makers of the MOxy Muscle Oxygen Sensor). 

In an effort to simplify the description of MOxy, Schmitz created the analogy of "Dump Trucks" to represent the blood component Hemoglobin.  In the paper, Schmitz says that "Hemoglobin is the molecule in blood that is the primary carrier of oxygen from the lungs to where it’s needed in the body."

Schmitz goes on to state that "Hemoglobin is the dump truck that hauls oxygen from the lungs to where it’s needed. The dump trucks travel on the circulatory system of the body. The heart moves the trucks. The lungs load the trucks. The arteries and veins are the freeways for the trucks to travel. The capillaries are the business end where the trucks unload."

What's important to know at this point, is that the MOxy Muscle Oxygen Sensor measures this DIRECTLY.  In other words, the MOxy sensor can detect how much Oxygen is in the muscle being measured.

Schmitz states "A little gift from physics is that the hemoglobin dump trucks change color depending on whether they’re carrying oxygen or not. So by looking at the color of the dump trucks in the capillaries we can see how many are carrying oxygen. This is where the MOxy comes in. By carefully measuring color, it measures the percentage of hemoglobin in the capillaries that is loaded with oxygen."

Again - I am looking for feedback on the analogy of the Dump Trucks.  In the future I will talk about the aerobic and anaerobic states, and why they are important to the athlete.

Thanks for reading my Blog!!!

Stu




7 comments:

  1. Its significant and by some means sharing this to readers like me, would make me want to surf the web to have the ability to get significantly more fantastic suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I will be continuing on this path with more discussion on Aerobic vs. Anaerobic Metabolism. Stay tuned - there's more information coming on this topic. It's one of the strongest arguments at this time for use of the MOxy - both for endurance and for recovery.

      Delete
  2. Gas mileage may not be as crucial to a dump truck driver as it would be to an over-the-road driver, but fuel economy is still important to consider. Any reduction in your operating costs improves your bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your contents are too simple to read and easy to understand.
    mechanic truck

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to have got this kind of post to be able to total my personal task, possesses exact same matter together with your write-up. Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to have got this particular publish to be able to overall my, and contains identical topic together with your write-up. Thank you

    ReplyDelete