Sunday, October 7, 2012

Minimalist Running Shoes, Brooks PureConnect, GOgroove AudioACTIVE Headset, Cross Training with Yoga, Bikram Yoga

Hi Everyone - and thanks for reading my blog!

I am going to give a few updates on things I have recently purchased and am actually using.  Also, a few questions about Yoga - please send me your thougths.


Breaking in my new shoes - Brooks Pure Connect

In my last blog I mentioned that I had bought a pair of Brooks Pure Connect shoes (Minimalist Running Shoes).  Well, they came in the mail late last week.  I have been trying to follow some on-line wisdom for breaking them (and me) in. 

Most of the warnings about making the change to a Minimalist shoe are related to the BIG change from heel striking to mid-foot landing.  I have found this to be quite true. 

The first day I ran only about 10 minutes, and tried to keep my pace easy.  They felt really odd to me, but when I started to concentrate on why - it was just the fact that my foot was landing underneath me, not in front of me, and I was mostly landing mid-foot.  They make you feel a bit like a ballerina. 

The second day I upped it from 1 mile to 2 miles, and the third day I did three miles.  I have a 5K this Saturday, so I want to stick with that distance.  Today's 3-miler was also an interval run, so I really got to hit the throttle and see how things work.  The prancing feeling was amplified, but it wasn't anything that I couldn't deal with.  I don't see any affect on my speed or effort, and may be seeing it actually a bit easier. 

One recommendation that I found very valuable - the foot massage.  I have been working the arches of my feet about three times a day.  Easy to do - anytime you are sitting around (maybe not during a meal ...).  So far the massages have been helping with any pain or stiffness.



New Blue Tooth Head Phones:  GOgroove AudioACTIVE Wireless Headset

Got my new Blue Tooth wireless headphones today.  So far they have been working quite well with my MotoACTV GPS Wristwatch and MP3 Player.  Had a little trouble to start with, mostly getting them to sync, and now I seem to have to sync them everytime I use them.  Very comfortable and easy to use with the MotoACTV.   I had a pair of Motorola SD10-HD Blue Tooth headphones, but they stopped working.  I think the battery is shot/defective/not working at all. Took these new GOgrooves for a run the last three days in a row, and NO PROBLEMS.





Yoga Anyone? As a Cross Training Activity?

I keep seeing articles on-line and in magazines about the benefits of Yoga as a Cross-Training idea.  Please send me your thoughts.  I have a local Yoga studio that I have never tried.

Have any of my readers given it a try?

Is it true that Yoga is good for a runner's breathing? 

Is Yoga a good way to improve and strengthen the core?

Do any of you know the difference between Yoga and Bikram Yoga? 


As always - thanks to everyone for reading my Blog!

Stu










2 comments:

  1. Hello Stu

    My name Karen a friend of Rebecca's and she passed on your blog to me. I too am a runner and just completed my 18th marathon out in New York. I enjoyed the course, felt great actually most of the way but just couldn't hang on that last mile. Finished in 4:02 missing Boston by just 2 minutes. I was really bummed.

    To answer your questions though...I do lots of yoga. It's helped with flexibility tremendously and I believe injury prevention.

    Hope that helps.

    Also I have bee mulling over going to a minimalist show but not sure where to start. Possibly a little lighter weight than what I use now. I am running in a brooks glycerin. I have metatarcel pads in as we'll but may be ready to remove? I M a toe runner so started experiencing foot pain and the pads were the solution. Anyhow...any thoughts?

    Thanks Stu

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen - thanks for commenting.
      I make the switch about a week ago, and have really started to put on the miles with the Brooks PureConnect. I have found that knee problems and pain are starting to diminish, however the break in period isn't over for me yet. I am trying to stay on the balls of my feet, and I use a metronome to keep me at 180steps per minutes. I am experiencing lower ankle pain, but not injuries, and my groin is a little tight/sore, but loosens up after I get moving in my following run. I did 6.5 miles today (lots of distance for me...) and I feel pretty good. I think you just have to take it easy getting started. Check out some of the educational videos on the "born to run" web site. There is a discussion about the wider toe box, and why it is better for your foot. Stu

      Delete