Sunday, July 8, 2012

What does it take to get better?

First of all, I have to clear up some "technical" business.  As we develop this new MOxy product, it is important that we get some consistent terminology associated with the metric.  For more detailed information, check out the two blog posts I wrote earlier about the "Dump Trucks".

SmO2 - This is the technical term (abreviation) for the metric that the MOxy Muscle Oxygen Monitor actually measures. 

The "S" refers to "Saturation", as in the percent of hemoglobin that is saturated with Oxygen.

The "m" refers to "muscle". 

The "O2", of course, refers to "Oxygen", which in this metric is tied to hemoglobin.

"Muscle Oxygen Monitor" refers to the complete measurement system including the sensor, the display, and any external software and websites that we might use. 

Now on to the topic at hand, "What does it take to get better?".

As I work through the benefits (and, at times, disappointments) in my own training regime, I am finding that there is room for both aerobic and anaerobic workouts.  I thought all it took was to just keep running, but I have never made gains as quickly as I have recently mixing things up a bit. 

I start my week (like I just did tonight) with what I'm told is an LSR (Long Slow Run), which for me is about 6 miles at somewhere around a 9 minute mile (sometimes longer).  This I do once per week.

Then I make sure I mix in a few "interval" training runs.  Being that I am mostly interested in competing in 5k and 4 mile runs, I keep the overall length of the interval training to about 3 miles.  From there, it's pretty simple.  I run half mile intervals, starting with a half mile slow and steady, followed by a half mile as fast as I can for that distance.  The fast half is always tough.

With this method I am seeing great results.  My times are consistently coming down, whereas they were actually getting worse before I tried this.

How does this connect with the MOxy Muscle Oxygen Monitor?  It's clear from our early testing that this system gives direct and instantaneous feedback to the athlete that lets them know if they are aerobic or anarobic, how long they have been in that state, and how deep into that state they have been.

For example - the LSR (Long Slow Run) is for building endurance.  MOxy's SmO2 readings can tell the athlete that they are maintaining their Muscle Oxygen readings in a zone that is safe for long endurance type workouts.  Sure they are tiring workouts, but the supply of Oxygen is not an issue.  This "zone" is excellent for building the endurance the athlete is looking for, and has the added benefit of being great for weight loss.

However, the LSR won't build your speed.  For that the athlete must get into some kind of speed training, like the "interval" training I talked about earlier.  The athlete must push themselves to drive their muscles into the "anaerobic" zone, starving the muscle of Oxygen for short periods of time.  With MOxy's SmO2 readings, the athlete can determine the depth of the anaerobic "zone", and how long that depth has been held.  Following the fast interval, there is a recovery period that must occur before the athlete goes after another fast interval.  This is sometimes done with heart rate (HR) or with time, but MOxy's SmO2 readings tell the athlete their rate of recovery and the peak of their recovery as well.  How long they chose to hold the recovery period, once it is complete, is up to them. 

I personally tested the device, both on myself and other athletes.  The system worked well, but still had a chord and a laptop computer.  I am really looking forward to getting the wireless systems in the hands of our MOxy Developers.  The delivery date is now within just a few weeks, and our Developers are waiting anxiously for the systems to be delivered.  With wireless sensors and a wrist worn monitor, this device is ready to "hit the road". 

More to come on the Developers group.  I will share their Bios, and a link to the Forum that they will be using to post their feedback.

Once again, thanks for reading my blog!!!

Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment